Be one of the first wedding groups at the Kleemann House.
Since 1883, the Kleemann House has hosted guests and grand parties with unique splendor. A hotel at the beginning, stagecoaches heading toward Custer City would stop to enjoy its elegant architecture and hospitality. Today, this completely renovated historic venue promises luxury and a distinct experience.
Whether you’re hosting a large wedding in Custer or you’ve decided to keep it intimate and elegant, the Historic Kleemann House in downtown Custer, South Dakota, can add to many aspects of your wedding. Host one or every wedding event with us.
Private Rehearsal Dinner
Invite close friends and family to the Kleemann House the evening before the big day for a perfect start to your wedding weekend. Cater in a fine meal of your choosing or prepare something that speaks to your taste in our full, remodeled kitchen. Outside the kitchen, the oversized, elegantly appointed wood bar with built-in beverage coolers can chill all your aperitifs, sparkling wine, and other beverages served before and with dinner. You bring your own beer, wine, liquor, and, if desired, bartender too. Guests can dine at the bar, which has seating for 8, and two dining room tables with enough chairs for 12.
Wedding Party Homebase
Whether you decide to host your wedding ceremony and reception at the Kleemann House or elsewhere in Custer, brides and grooms love to make this their homebase. The night before the wedding and the morning of, our 5 bedrooms with attached private bathrooms make a comfortable and private place for the entire wedding party to stay and get ready for the big day. Brides want a Pinterest-perfect look, but they often get ready in the church basement. The Kleemann House offers a beautiful alternative. The bathrooms are well lit with skylights and sink lights, and all have modern fixtures and outlets with an antique look. Each bedroom is decorated with class and tells the story of a past houseguest, such as Buffalo Bill. The night of the wedding, this is also a great place to retreat, as it’s in downtown Custer near popular bars and restaurants.
Picturesque Courtyard Ceremony
The moment you say, “I do.” is a moment you’ll remember forever. The place you say your vows should only enhance this moment. The Kleemann House’s garden terrace is an outdoor retreat that’s both peaceful and picturesque with beautiful blooms, lush greenery, and exposed brick. This space is a dream come true for intimate ceremonies with enough white garden chairs to accommodate 50 to 75 guests.
Raise your glasses and toast to the start of a lifetime of happiness immediately following the ceremony. Our main floor living room and parlor allows room for a sophisticated cocktail reception—and you can access it right from the courtyard. This open space has natural and accent lighting, a beautiful fireplace, and lavish decor. It’s also conveniently located near the bar area where you can serve beverages throughout the day or hire your own bartender to serve guests. For an intimate social space, our rooftop deck overlooks downtown Custer and only adds to the uniqueness of the space.
The food is only enhanced by the elegance of the Kleemann House. With a full kitchen, intimate dining room, large wet bar, and the freedom to choose your own catering services, you can invite family and friends to enjoy a banquet-style brunch, lunch, dinner, or hors d'oeuvres. Guests can choose a place to sit and gather indoors to enjoy the fine furnishings, intricate encaustic tile flooring, distinct millwork, and temperature-controlled environment. They can also relax on the garden courtyard patio or rooftop deck after dishing up. Once dinner hour is over, arrange for live music out on the garden terrace for a low-key, romantic social setting.
Whether you host every part of your wedding here or simply a gift opening, the Kleemann House is convenient and enjoyable for all guests. The main floor and the garden terrace patio make for a perfect morning or afternoon of opening your gifts and thanking your guests for their generosity and best wishes. We recommend you arrange to serve coffee, juice, and light brunch, which you can prepare yourself in the kitchen or cater in.
Tips for hosting weddings in the Kleemann House
Before the wedding:
- If you want assistance with finer details, hire an event planner or ask family to help.
- Reserve a few nights to either relax or host your rehearsal dinner and gift opening.
- Assure guests that the first-floor is ADA compliant and their needs will be met.
- Ask about catering, delivery, and service options in Custer well in advance.
- Choose a white and red wine and a few beer selections for the bar.
- Hire a bartender or make sure you have an easy self-serve setup.
- Come before your wedding to host your bachelor or bachelorette getaway.
- Budget for cleanup or ask the wedding party to help you afterwards.
- Plan to use our space as much as possible. We don’t close down your party at midnight like other venues.
- Invite the rest of your party at the Rock Crest Lodge, which is only a few blocks away.
At the wedding:
- Use one bedroom for the bridal party and another for the groomsmen to get ready.
- Use the Victorian embellishments to your advantage and plan for less decorations.
- Customize the place to look like your dream day with flowers and lighting.
- Choose elegant, well-lit space indoors, outdoors, or in downtown Custer for your photos.
- Hold a Champagne toast inside while the reception area gets set up in garden.
- Explore downtown Custer during your stay. We’re next to Sage Grille and local bars.
- Please note: We ask that you do not rearrange the interior furniture during your stay.
Save the date.
Host your wedding in a historic venue. Call 866.622.9506 for more information.